RE: About proprietary writing samples

Subject: RE: About proprietary writing samples
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:58:28 -0600

Willow wrote:

> Seems to me that 200 pages is an awfully big sample. A sample is just a
> piece of documentation that gives the interviewer an idea of what kind of
> work a writer produces. Personally, I would never use anything more that a
> couple of pages. The sample shows how I write, the conversation shows what I
> know.

Good points.

But it IS nice to be able to pull out a phone-book sized document - a
whole *manual* - and plop it on the interviewer's desk, and say, "I wrote
that." Having sat on both sides of the interviewer's desk, I find that
more impressive than a couple pages of well-written prose.

But a couple pages of well-written prose IS more impressive than a big
hunking manual that's badly written, poorly laid out, etc. So I'm in favor
of whatever presents the writer in the best possible light, I guess.

In my experience, nobody sits and actually READS what I wrote for more
than a few seconds, so I'll probably stick with giving them the phone
book.

Keith Cronin
thinking of charging by the pound for tech writing

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com