Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:01:32 -0700

McCarter, Kim wrote:

Folks, this is America

Just a reminder: not everyone on the list lives in the United States.I don't myself.

If you get back to basics, this country was built on
free trade and the bottom line is that's the way it still functions.

Actually, protective tariffs and monopolies had a lot to do with the growth of the United States, too.

So did trade unionism, regardless of whether you think it's relevant today.

But, if you're using "free trade" as a synonym for "capitalism," I shold add that very few places in the world - including the United States - have a completely capitalistic system. Almost all of the industrialized world lives in a mixed economy. That's why we have public schools, employment insurance and (in most countries outside the US) public health.

True, the prevailing ideology is that the industrialized world is capitalistic. But this perception is at serious odds with the reality.

In fact, I'd go so far as to suggest that if the reality wasn't so mixed, this thread wouldn't exist. Basically, the thread is about the conflict between the values of capitalism and some of the other values that are equally prominent in our societies.

"rats may be rich or rats may be clever,
but one thing of which they'll never get rid
My Dog
knows where the bones are hid."
-OysterBand, "My Dog"

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l