RE: Technical writers and multimedia?

Subject: RE: Technical writers and multimedia?
From: "walden miller" <wmiller -at- vidiom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 09:57:48 -0600

But how much are technical writers involved in producing multimedia-based
user documents? I don't see many signs of it in job ads.

-- David McMurrey

I have been in the multimedia (very loosely defined) industry for about 15
years. Currently, I am in interactive TV. During those 15 years:

I have employed writers to write "interactive" scripts
I have written scripts
I have made countless flowcharts and outlines for interactive multimedia
I have produced a number of bilingual interactive CD's
I have helped create a number of interactive TV applications for training
courses

All that said, I find it rare for writers to be involved very heavily in
multimedia. However, there is so little training in multimedia, it does
make it hard to "break in" without knowing someone who is willing to take a
chance.

I find the bridge between tech writing and multimedia production/scripting
to be a stretch for some. Usually, the creative bent must be in full swing
to make it happen. Also, it pays to have a strong ability to visualize
media.

A great book (used as a text book, I believe) is Mind over Media by Mark Von
Wodtke.

Good luck with the course.

walden

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l