RE: Work... It's Gooberrific!!!

Subject: RE: Work... It's Gooberrific!!!
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 10:17:42 -0600

On 7 Aug 2002 at 10:44, Anita Lewis wrote:

> I've discovered throughout my career that single people are generally
> expected to work more overtime than married people or single with
> children people... But that's a whole other thread. I would be
> interested to find out though, if others have experienced similar
> expectations. I'm curious as to what "family" people are expected
> to/do put in what percentage of overtime versus how much overtime
> "single" people are expected to/do put in. If anyone cares to
> comment, I can be contacted off-list.

It's my "personnel evaluation" time, and my boss and I had a
discussion about hours worked yesterday. I generally work a couple
of hours of OT a week. I will put in more hours if there is a deadline
or if I have a lot of projects going on simultaneously, but generally,
I'm a 42-hourer. Others higher up in management seem to think that
you are not giving the company what you should unless you are
working 45 to 50 hours. I mentioned some of the arguments on this
list to my boss; e.g., if you're always required to work 45 to 50 hours
a week, then there's a problem with the employee or the amount of
work. And, obviously :), it's not me.

Anyway... I am single with no children (I just have a big fat happy
cat). I own my home which requires cleaning, maintenance, and
yard work. I physically don't have *time* to work a lot of OT on a
regular basis and try to keep up the house and keep up my mental
and physical health by reading, getting exercise, getting adequate
sleep, etc.

The interesting thing is that there are others in my group (men) who
have several children and a wife who works at home (it's Utah...).
These folks *do* have the time to work 50 hours a week, and they
usually do. In this instance, these individuals have less demand on
their time at home because there is a second person with whom to
share the work (to do most of the work??? like I say... it's Utah).

Yes, I suspect that single people are expected to be able to put in
more hours. Obviously we have nothing to do and no where to go :)
However, in reality we have just as much work and one less person
to share the workload. Of course, I don't think our corporate culture
thinks about this aspect of it.

Dana W.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com