Re: Terminology problem?

Subject: Re: Terminology problem?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:58:14 -0600

Geoff wrote:

> Definitely use the last one; it's clearest and relies least on understanding
> a relatively uncommon English term. Although the first option is technically
> correct, it's not something you can count on an average audience
> understanding. Your second point is well taken, since you'd confuse many
> Chinese Americans as to your goal.

Geoff, are you saying that you think Surname, Given Name is more clear
than Last Name, First Name?

Maybe in Canada, but not in the US, the country about which she inquired.

For example, if I had only one field, named "given name," I'd have no idea
what to enter. If it were next to a field named "surname" I could figure
it out by process of elimination.

But I think any US resident very quickly learns what to consider their
LAST name and their FIRST name, if they have to do any paperwork at all in
this country (such as applying for a green card).

Begging to differ for once,

Keith Cronin
who doesn't like it when the restrooms in bars use cute pictures on their
doors instead of the words MEN and WOMEN, although this practice *has*
resulted in a couple of interesting encounters...

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com