Your power animal

Subject: Your power animal
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 00:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

This is a mostly pointless rambling message from me. I'd just delete it if I were
you. Its based off Bruce's comment...

> I suddenly realized that a number of the people
> who find over-time acceptable are single, at the start of their
>careers, or both.

I think thats a stereotype with some obvious common sense behind it. When you're
young you want to impress and make a name for yourself, so you work harder. Then
as you get older and more weatherbeaten, you get sick of all the BS and just want
to go home and get drunk and start a cult.

The real issue is loving your work. Generally, people who truly love what they
are doing, are willing and eager to do it a lot.

Think about the things you REALLY love to do. And think about how much time you
spend focusing on doing whatever it is you love to do. And do you ever feel
ripped off at the end of a long hard day of doing that which you love to do?
How dare I have to do what I love doing for 10 hours a day!

I like washing my car. I know this sounds lame, but its very cathartic for me.
Mainly because I washed cars when I was a kid. I never feel ripped off or screwed
over when I have spent 4 hours washing my car.

Why does this make me happy?

Control. When I do things I love, they are because I think they're a good idea to
do and I have control over them. Not because some drooling, stock option cluching
reatard told me it was a good idea. If you told me to go wash my car, it wouldn't
be as fun. Because now I have to answer to you.

Your in your cave. What do we see? Your power animal. Slide.

The fact is, most people don't REALLY love what they do. They moderately like it
or just tolerate it. As such, they want to get away from it ASAP.

This is a factor of personality, attitude, age, responsibilities, income...etc.
Some people have hyper-motivated personalities and will work until they are
practically dead. Other people are not as motivated and shoot for a calmer life.
And then there are those that are just wastes of space that contribute virtually
nothing to this great ball of dirt in space.

Thus, aim for a career, job, life, space, spouse, home, car, cat, etc. that suits
your personality. If you chose a career, job, spouse, house, etc that is
asynchronous with your life, then you can expect a life of tension between the
two competing factions.

And please, don't give me the "we don't have any choice" answer. We all have
choice. Bad choices are opportunities unless you chose to see them as roadblocks.

So, what is your power animal? Are you a tiger or a tree shrew? An elephant or a
earmite? A slippery penguin or an oafish gorilla? A tricky fox or a foxy trout?

How do you define yourself? A "show up, do the job, get the f*** outta Dodge"
kind of jungle lizard or a "get the f*** outta my way, I'm going to make this all
work and leave you all in my dust" kind of mammal?

Andrew Plato

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l