Re: Single-Sourcing... Again...

Subject: Re: Single-Sourcing... Again...
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 12:58:52 -0400

Bruce Byfield bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com wrote:

> I can't help wondering: is there anybody on the list in a permanent
> relation - especially one with children - who doesn't object to
> over-time?
>
> Conversely, is there anybody on the list who is single or new to the
> field who does object to over-time?

I'm married, and in the process of adopting a child. As a
disclaimer, I do get paid straight time for overtime, so I'm sure that
affects my opinion.

I don't mind a reasonable amount of overtime, especially if it is at
least somewhat planned. But I also have no problem standing up
for myself, and insisting that my needs count as much as the
organization's.

For example, if the OT is for something that I alone am working on,
I will do the extra work when it is convenient for me. I'd rather go in
early in the morning than stay late at night. If no collaboration is
required (for this portion of the work), then why not? If it can be
done from home, and that works better for me, I'll do it from home,
appearances be darned.

If the team needs to work overtime together, I also have no problem
suggesting Sunday, say, rather than Saturday, if that is better for
me and my family. I don't always get my way of course, but I
make it clear that I'm an equal participant in these decisions.

This approach has worked for me so far.

-Greg Holmes

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com