I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: wordsync -at- swbell -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:19:21 -0600

Dear Techwhirlers:

After a year of being out of work, I've come to the end of my rope. I'm
registered with six or seven temp agencies, and they can't even find me
work. I'm on monster.com, I write killer cover letters, and everyone loves
my resume, but I've had only three actual interviews during this past
year. What's the old adage? If everything you've tried isn't working, it's
time to try something else?

Anyway, I am planning on moving back to my home state of Alabama, back to
Mobile, back to my parents. This will allow me to take some courses at the
University of South Alabama and change my career. I've spent over eleven
years as an editor/business writer, and the Houston job market doesn't
seem to need anyone with my background these days. I feel like Jimmy
Buffet's "A Pirate Looks at Forty"--my chose profession barely exists
these days.

I am interested in Web design and writing for the Web. Can any of you
forecast the upcoming demand for skills in these areas? Will there be a
demand for these skills? Tools I should know? A better field to try?
Programming? Testing? I've got to make changes, and I want to ensure my
future marketability. Any suggestions, words of encouragement, jokes,
prayers, etc. are appreciated.

Pat Glass

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com