RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: RE: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Greg Thompson" <gthompson -at- movaris -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:30:57 -0700

Some one remarked that the tech writing/web design fields (I would even
add programming to that list too. I have a number of talented senior
programmer friends who have been unemployed for a long time) are
saturated. If this is true, no matter what skills one adds, even if they
are good ones, there still will be a large body of individuals who won't
be employed in this field for a long time; at least until the next big
boom (My senior programmer friend has just about decided to leave the
industry all together)

So, assuming the above to be the case, what non tech fields have people
considered moving into if they could no longer work at technical
writers? Also, has anyone considered how they would downsize their life
style if they did lose a high paying tech writer job?

Myself, I have made the following choices:
1. Enrolled in a masters program in instructional design/technology. I
think I want to develop non technical content in a college environment
as an instructional designer (the humanities and the arts are my true
passions. Not technology.) I am developing some skills in visual design,
human factors, usability, needs and task analysis. Having a MA will also
allow me to teach at local universities in non tenured position part
time. I have some good contacts at San Fran State in the Instructional
Technology Department.
2. Get certified as a CPR instructor. My wife is doing this also. There
are plenty of opportunities where we live for independent instructors
and the money is pretty good.
3. Started doing some research on buying a franchise. (I had envisioned
in my mind a more digital consulting version - including having of
Kinko's but there is a lot more too this than what I first thought :)
4. Rent our condo out and live rent free when my wife gets a position
doing full time property management.

I am curious to see what some of you might plan to do? I am always
interested in hearing new ideas.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com