Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:36:15 -0600

be a Chevy mechanical engineer, or must I be Ford-only? Can I be an
ASE-certified mechanic, instead?

To write about software, must I be a programmer? To write about software
used by engineers, must I be a programmer and an engineer? If that
software is used on a Windows XP network, must I also be a
Microsoft-certified XP administrator?<<<<

You don't have to have a background in electronics to write about
electronics. But it can't hurt, that's for sure. I see no problem with an
employer wanting tech writers who possess some knowledge of the topics
they'll write about. An AA is most likely - to this employer - the minimum
standard to show some expertise in the subject. A BS or Masters degree
wasn't required, only an AA.

So to answer the litany of questions above: No - you don't have to be a
programmer/mechanical engineer/network adminstrator to write effectively
about these subjects. But a person with a background in these subjects will
certainly have an easier time grappling with Ohm's law than someone who
needs to Google every acronym or arcane term used by the SMEs. The employer
is likely thinking of the learning curve, and there is nothing wrong with
that.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com