Re(4): Looking for the name of a key on the keyboard

Subject: Re(4): Looking for the name of a key on the keyboard
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:04:01 +0200

>> Tying this in with another current thread: This sounds
>> like a perfect application for a glossary....
>
>But, since people don't seem to know the real name
>of the key, they would not find it by looking up its
>name in your glossary.

They wouldn't need to know the name, it would be right there in the text.
E.g., "To twiddle the gadget, press the application key."

And in the glossary, it would say:

"Application key blablabla"
(And a picture for clarification.)

IMHO, that's how a glossary works. You seem to think of an encyclopedia
or dictionary, but a glossary is different in that it provides
definitions only (or mainly) for terms used in the manual of which it is
part. The purpose is to explain to the readers those terms that they read
in the manual and are unfamiliar with.

(This way, there of course arises no question of how to sort the glossary
entry.)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com