Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: <cheek1 -at- sbcglobal -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:31:44 -0700

I wanted to echo John Gilger's comments:
$20/hr brings in about $2700/month after taxes and cheapest insurance. I
have worked in Silicon Valley for eleven years. I have a $2000/month
mortgage for a smallish house with a 60 mile commute (this is normal for
this area). Since gas and electricity are furnished by PG&E, these run in
the neighborhood of $200/month. Gas for my commute costs at least
$100/month, etc. If you own a house in most regions of California where
there is work, $20/hr will not allow you to keep that house. Sadly, $20 to
$40/hr is now the going rate for most Tech Writing contracts here. The
solution, of course, is to be a dual-income family with roughly $1500/month
in childcare expenses.

I used to comment that it was the dot-com millionaires who were ruining
everything for the rest of us. Now most of them are broke as well, and I
have to look for another handy candidate to blame. How about Enron? Anybody
wanna blame Enron for all our problems?

Regards,

Kevin Cheek