RE: Being an Expert

Subject: RE: Being an Expert
From: jgarison -at- ide -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 13:31:39 -0400

Sounds eerily like an experience from my past ...

As doc manager for a project (back in the days of proprietary PCs) we were
developing a PC-like system. We writers noticed that the operating system
people and printing people were not on the same wavelength. I pointed this
out to the project manager who pooh-poohed my concerns.

At the next doc review meeting, I had the Printer folks follow the OS folks.
Since we ran a little late (also by design IIRC), both groups were in the
room at the same time and when the Printer people go to the matter at hand,
all of a sudden he OS people were huddling and pointing and whispering
rather loudly. After the meeting, the OD lead called the project leader over
and said "Houston, we have a problem."

The result: they coded the software to agree with the documentation (which
we had most certainly coordinated).

The moral of the story: You don't have to be an absolute expert. You just
have to listen well and know what to do with the information you get.

And furthermore: in several situations I have been working on absolutely NEW
products that had never been done before. There were no experts - we were
all flying by the seats of our pants. We had to make it up as we went along.

My 2¢,

John