Re: Has anyone been getting this email?

Subject: Re: Has anyone been getting this email?
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:42:49 -0600

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Better yet (says he with more than a touch of smugness):Put a Linux
> partition on your computer and answer your e-mail from there.There's
> been a couple of Linux viruses in the last year, but none of they can do
> anything unless you're stupid enough to use the internet while logged in
> as root user - and that's still far fewer than the Windows has.

Smugness forgiven. But viruses aren't the only issue. My expertise in this
area is limited, so I may be wrong, but I think any email reader that
renders HTML mail is going to -- at the least -- enable spammers to confirm
your address by linking back to their site.

Although I prefer plain text for most purposes, I don't want to give up HTML
mail completely, if only because some newsletters of value to me are in that
format (and it does add significant usability, not just glitz).

The Outlook add-in I mentioned looks like a good solution for me. Is there
an easy way, under Linux, to have your HTML mail but eat it only when you
want to?

Is my love/hate relationship with HTML mail justified, or am I way off base?

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer