Re: MOVIE REVIEW: K19: The Widowmaker

Subject: Re: MOVIE REVIEW: K19: The Widowmaker
From: Allen Schaaf <soundbyte -at- sound-by-design -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:22:03 -0700

At 01:21 PM 8/15/02, Matthew Nankin wrote:

MOVIE REVIEW: K19: The Widowmaker by Matthew Nankin

[snip]

...we can only hope that people who view this epic will take away an important lesson about the disastrous consequences that can result from documentation that is both incomplete and misused.

Matthew,

At the risk of letting down our side, relax and tell yourself, "It is only a movie, it is only a movie...." Or was it really so bad that you needed something to keep your brain cells from atrophying?

I know, having once been a part of the land of smoke and mirrors, that there is not much reality in films, but I am afraid your description of how manuals are viewed out in real world is probably closer to the truth than any of us dare admit for fear of destroying our already low morale over the respect we get on the job.

Best to you and yours,

Allen Schaaf
Sr. Tech Writer
Currently looking for work.

Who says bad manuals aren't a risk to your life? Just ask the passengers of the jet where the engine caught fire because the company's maintenance manual was wrong about how to install one key bolt. (NTSB Report on GE CF6 engine fire, American Airlines flight 574, July 9, 1998. <http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1999/AAB9903.htm>)

and more from the TECHWR-L Store. All proceeds support TECHWR-L. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=techwhirl

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l