Re: Technically Speaking

Subject: Re: Technically Speaking
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:46:59 -0400

Allen,

Those are all good points. I was describing a somewhat different (but related) transaction, though.

I don't have to deal with transcription of oral presentations. Rather, I get drafts of documents that are written by people who also present orally. So what I was trying to illuminate was the way people who think _orally_ write and to contrast that with the way people who think _aurally_ write.

Not arguing with you, just trying to add another perspective,

Dick

Allen Schaaf wrote:

Dick, John, et. al.,

Like you, Dick, I have edited speeches given at conferences and found that there was tons of things to remove and re-order in order to make them intelligible in a written form, or even for an audio tape.

Alas, I do not have the references to the source research anymore, but here are a couple of clues that may help understand the differences between speeches and the written word.

The first is that about 80% spoken language is redundant. We often repeat the same information in various ways to help provide different pathways to understanding.

The second is from studies done in the late 60's. Verbal communication is about 54% body language, 39% tone of voice and delivery, and only 7% the words themselves. So when you listen to a tape you are deprived of half the information that is communicated. When you see just the words on paper, most of the communication that happens in front of the live audience is gone.

It is my belief that these are the reasons behind the value of visuals in manuals and approaches like information mapping.

Best to your and yours,

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com