Re: Documentation Quality Metrics

Subject: Re: Documentation Quality Metrics
From: Harald Klein <webmaster -at- textquest -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:56:16 +0200

write now wrote:

The powers that be have determined that we will now provide quality metrics every month. I've read over several past threads and searched the Web, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for. Everything posted seems to concentrate on the postive and negative aspects of metrics, where I'm looking for specific measurements.

If your group does quality metrics, what exactly do you measure? I'm trying to find some relatively significant measurements that won't take me a month to compile.

When I read this, readability measures and readability formulas came to my mind. Although these formulas also measure syntactical measures like sentence and/orword length, these formulas are quite useful. There are also some that are suitable for technical manuals like the Forcast formula. I am currently working on this topic and implemented the most popular one for English (and some other languages like French, German, Dutch, Spanish) in my text analysis program named TextQuest (www.textquest.de/tqe.htm, there is also a free test version for download).

The readabiliy analysis module also has a style function that one can use to get too long sentences and too long words displayed in a log file, so you can see what might have gone wrong.

Harald Klein
Social Science Consulting
Brückengasse 12
07407 Rudolstadt