Duck! A context-sensitive help tools question...

Subject: Duck! A context-sensitive help tools question...
From: David Handy <davidh -at- automsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:08:57 +0100

Fellow whirlers,
I really don't want to (re)start another tool war... But I am evaluating
tools at the moment and would appreciate any second opinions, on or offline,
concerning the relative pros and cons of RoboHELP 2002 and WebWorks
Publisher 7 (Standard or Professional ed.) for creating HTML Help.

Specifically, I want to provide code programming as context-sensitive Help
within Microsoft Visual Studio applications, e.g. Visual Basic. I've
produced proof-of-concept files with R'Help 2002 already and am moving on to
try and do the same the same with WWP 7. I know the latter has a steeper
learning curve, but that won't bother me if the tool delivers.

My main concerns are
(i) how effective the tools are at delivering multiple types of
documentation -- for example, how well R'Help 2002 handles prinitable books,
how well WWP handles context-sensitive Help
(ii) does the overhead for developers differ from too to tool, vis a vis
updating the code with help tags
(iii) general pros and cons

At the moment I'm producing docs as PDF with Frame + Acrobat and RoboHELP
Office version 7. Strictly speaking I could use RH 7 to produce the
programming documentation but we've been decided to update our tools. Lucky
me, I think.

TIA,
dh
automsoft

PS I have checked the archives already...

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com