Re: Do I have a right to feel POed??

Subject: Re: Do I have a right to feel POed??
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:46:18 -0700 (PDT)

--- Karen Gloor <karen_gloor -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

Karen, you have every right to be POed. The question might be better phrased to ask
what are you going to do with your feelings? Being upset usually doesn't get one
anywhere until one can work beyond that to what comes next.

> Any advice on what in the heck I can do to make
> documentation a mindset rather than an afterthought??

First, you keep plugging away; neither Rome nor good documentation organizations (or
good organizations in general) are built in a day. There's always 10% who don't get
the word or get with the program. You'll always have them with you.

> I have given presentations regarding our efforts,
> provided input at every meeting, and worked very
> closely with developers to let them know that I am
> there for them and am trying very hard to understand
> the technical aspects of this product, which seems to
> be a moving target from one day to the next.

Okay, you've gotten the word out, and I'll bet most of the people who are going to
get it and work with you have gotten it and are working with you. The 10% who won't
get it, or get with it, just won't.

As for products being moving target...well, yeah, they are. Change is another fact
of life in the business. Heck, if this job was easy, they wouldn't need to pay us
what they do. (Whoops! Don't go back to THAT thread. Please!)

> This is a slap in the face to be left out of a major
> decision in which I *thought* I was a key player.

Actually, it may not have been the slap in the face you think it is. An unfortunate
oversight? Probably. A deliberate provocation? I suspect not (though I don't know
your situation as well as you do). Everytime somebody screws up, it isn't deliberate
or a deliberate attempt to insult you or slight you (or me or any other writer).
Sometimes a screw up is just that, a screw up.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 08/18/02
--The opinions expressed in this email are mine...at least I think they're mine...I'm almost positive.--

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com