Re: User's, Users, Users'

Subject: Re: User's, Users, Users'
From: Goober <techcommgoober -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:19:35 -0700 (PDT)

> Look at this sentence fragment: "Most SMEs
> agree...." To me that looks
> wrong. I think it should be: "Most SME's agree...."
> But that doesn't seem
> right either as it looks like a singular possessive
> and that does not match
> with "agree." And "Most SMEs' agree...." is clearly
> wrong because it is a
> plural possessive, not an indication of a
> contraction as the apostrophe is
> external to where the letters are left out.
>
> Suggestions?

Yes. Scotch. Lots of it. Followed by a vacation. Then
maybe therapy, but definitely more scotch.

*lol*

Seriously, it's such a small detail to fret over. Pick
one and be done with it. You may anger or appease the
grammarians, but they are the vast minority. The
majority of people aren't going to care either way.
They'll see some variation on "user" followed by
"manual" and say "Oh, this is the manual", put it on a
shelf, and MAYBE thumb through it at some point.

;)

I love reality. As crazy as it can be at times, it can
also help simplify things a lot.

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com