RE: Tools: PDF to SQL

Subject: RE: Tools: PDF to SQL
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:42:30 -0400

This topic has one of those Subject lines that makes me go, "Wha?".

1. Export the PDF as an RTF document
2. Open RTF in favorite word processor (Word).
3. Convert to simple text format (TXT).
4. Buy a book on Perl. Laura LeMay's book will get you up to speed fast. And I believe she is a member of this list.
5. Write script that uses Perl's text-manipulation functions to extract data from text file.
6. Extend this script or write another script that converts the extracted data into SQL statements.
7. Insert SQL into database.

I did this once, but instead of SQL statements, I had to put the data into Visual Basic toData functions. Don't ask.

Time? Coupla hours.
Easy? Fairly, but depends on the data.
Fun? Absolutely.

Matthew Horn