Re: What do you charge for Web site content?

Subject: Re: What do you charge for Web site content?
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 14:32:08 +1000

Rhina asked:

I'm going to be writing for a site and I'm trying to figure out what/how to
charge. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Do you charge by the word, by
the page, by the hour? What if it includes some simple HTML coding? Do you
charge for that separately? Any good resources out there for this? I tried the
archives but with a search for "rates" the most recent post was in 2000. Another
search term, maybe?

Depends who you're writing for and what you're writing. If the content is comparable to other technical writing work, then I would charge the same rate I charge for other techwriting. Matthew Horn gave a good summary of other situations.

Simple HTML coding: no extra charge; more complicated coding: charge extra.

I would use much the same criteria (as for any other techwriting) when deciding whether to charge by the hour or the page. That's too long a topic for me to go into in detail here, but as others have said, it's safer for you to charge by the hour. However, in my experience, many clients don't like that, as it's too open-ended. Start your negotiation with what YOU want, and be prepared to compromise with some other payment scheme.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/
Avalook at Australia Travel site http://www.avalook.com.au/
Diversify your income to protect your future.
http://www.quickinfo247.com/4148861/IEF

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com