RE: Tools: PDF to SQL

Subject: RE: Tools: PDF to SQL
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:08:45 +0200

Find a new vendor??? Sorry... I know that's not a practical idea. But I find it hard to imagine a vendor who won't work with you on this. Even if you have to pay the vendor for the other form of that data, it might cost you less in the long run.

BTW - If the PDF is in columns, you might have extra problems because text from PDF tends to come out one line at a time - across the whole page. There might be people with tools to extract it as text, though. Try MicroType, for example. On the other hand, for 500 pages, using Acrobat to select a page, copy it into another file, then massage it one page at a time might take as long as it takes to develop automation. If this is a one-shot deal, low-tech might be the solution...

Long Answer: I think I need to be more specific

1. The information contained in the PDFs must be integrated with an =
existing SqlServer DB. The DB supports a custom-built issue tracker =
application.

2. We have 500+ pages of PDFs to integrate.

3. The information is from a vendor who refuses to provide us the =
information in any form other than PDF.

Given the volume of information tha has to be moved from PDF to Sql, we =
looking hard to find an automated process.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions so far. Any more ideas?

--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML