RE: Techwriting history

Subject: RE: Techwriting history
From: "Kight, Cindy K." <Cindy -dot- Kight -at- Gilbarco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 10:38:53 -0700

Keith wrote:

<It is chilling, fascinating reading, but I wouldn't call it tech writing.
To me it's just propaganda, albeit powerful and stirring. Written by
somebody who does NOT have to die, trying to persuade somebody else that
he DOES have to die.>

Speaking of World War II 'how to' propaganda - if you ever happen to have
access to old copies of Time magazine, an issue from the mid-December 1941
has a bizarre article entitled 'How to Tell Our Friends from the Japs' that
lists 'Chinese' characteristics and 'Japanese' characteristics side by side.
It includes things like Chinese have genuine and hearty laughs while
Japanese snicker nervously. It's VERY strange.

But then Time also named Hitler Man of the Year, twice.

Cindy Kight
Technical Communications Manager
RMS Group - Gilbarco, Inc.
Glendale, CA