Re: Early contracting experiences? Learning the haard way! (1 of 2...)

Subject: Re: Early contracting experiences? Learning the haard way! (1 of 2...)
From: Charles E Vermette <cvermette -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:01:12 -0400

Sue in Canada laments that:

<<<[A true client from hell has] never been involved in a large scale
technical documentation project before and [has] *no* idea what is
involved in actually producing the deliverables or how long it

This helps to confirm a decision I made when I started contracting, and
something I suspected all along:

- if you go through the archives, and review stories about bad clients,
you invariably find that "it's the first technical documentation project
they've been involved in."

My solution (::::::put on flame retardant suit:::::):

- I deal only with experienced companies - and generally avoid startups
- If I sense that a potential client doesn't know what they're doing - or
is simply disorganized and/or immature, I walk and don't look back.

Sue, don't feel bad. Even very experienced contractors make this mistake.
See the January archives and search on "Client from hell"...

I'm already working on the objections list that I may have to post:)))

Charles E. Vermette
85 Washington Park Drive, Norwell MA 02061
e-mail: cvermette -at- juno -dot- com

Get details and download free trial versions at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com