RE: Alcohol at company functions (WAS: You will be assimilated...now what?)

Subject: RE: Alcohol at company functions (WAS: You will be assimilated...now what?)
From: "Nancy Kaminski" <nancy -dot- kaminski -at- spanlink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 11:37:40 -0500

When I first started working (n the late 70s as an insurance broker, not
a tech writer) it was customary to take customers/underwriters out to
lunch and buy drinks. Let's just say that there were a few afternoons
that weren't productive because there were account execs staring blankly
at their desks. <g>

We also had company bashes right in our offices for Christmas that were
spectacular---buffet and an open bar in each corner of the floor (we
occupied the 15th floor of a downtown building). Clients and staff spent
the afternoon socializing and drinking, and I'm sure more than one went
home completely blotto.

What killed that entire scene was the federal restriction on deducting
alcohol as an entertainment expense. Once the company could no longer
write it off, alcohol was pretty much off the menu. The liability
concerns came later.

But most of the companies I've worked for since have allowed alcohol at
off-site parties, such as company picnics or Christmas lunches. It just
can't be on premises.

Nancy Kaminski
nancykam -at- attbi -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com