RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures

Subject: RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:44:56 -0400

Hm. An across-the-board pay cut can help, but it had darn well better *be* "across the board," and that board includes upper management. :-) How well people deal with it I think depends on how much esprit there is among the employees. My last company tried that as a strategy. Maybe I was just young and dumb, but hearing, "your collective 10% pay cut means we didn't lay off x people" was something of a boost for me. (Of course, it turned out to be a brief reprieve....)

But anyway. If there's a good chance (as you implied) that they'll cut your position anyway, offering the part-time solution doesn't seem like it'll hurt. Best case, you'll both be happy. Worst, you won't be any worse off than you are now.

Good luck!!

Rebecca

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com