RE: Best...?

Subject: RE: Best...?
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 10:46:48 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Michelle Coffey [mailto:michelle -dot- coffey -at- epsiia -dot- com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 2:18 PM

Leo Wrote:

> So which DTP package is best?

Uh-oh - here we go again. Be prepared for debate. Around here - most
people are partial to FM or RoboHelp. But the answer is - it's your
preference.

[Etc.]

I wanted to elaborate on this. In fact, there may not be a *best*
software package for DTP, or any other purpose -- word processing,
graphics, music composition, etc. Rather, there are many packages out
there, each of which has different strengths and weaknesses, and your
choice depends on these answers to two questions:

* What features do you need in your specific work
environment to get your specific job done? (For example, do you need to
produce more web pages or more printed manuals? Do you need to
manipulate graphics?)

* What specific types of procedures is this specific group
of users most and least comfortable with? (For example, do they prefer
a hierarchical menu structure, or a bunch of palettes all over the
screen? Do they want to move objects around on the page by dragging, or
do they prefer to enter mathematical values, such as "left margin =
3.14159"?)

So answer these two questions, then find out which DTP package
does what *you* need it to do.

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com