RE: **SPAM** Re: What's the significance of a draft

Subject: RE: **SPAM** Re: What's the significance of a draft
From: "Leonard Marks" <merrispapa -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 11:47:09 -0600

I've been in that kind of situation before, and it is difficult. One of
the guys I worked with filed his stuff in unlabeled folders. At times he
would split up a large document between two or three different unmarked
folders. His rationale was if it took him a while to find something, it
might discourage someone else from digging in his files.

What works for me: I use a Frankin Planner, and I got the big one, the 8
1/2 by 11 size. I use that one because A) it gives me space to write
everything I need to for the day (I'm split between 4 and 6 projects at
once, depending on the week), B) because it just looks COOL, and C)
because I can carry my printed drafts out with me, and none the wiser...

I was recently on a software project. I explained, VERY CAREFULLY, to the
project owners that I would create a model, then a working prototype, and
THEN the finished product. I swear this is true: when I handed over the
working prototype, they sent me back a bug list and told me it wasn't done
yet.

(making unintelligible barking sounds and rocking now...)

Not everyone understands the draft process...I start out in longhand, as
much for my comfort as security reasons--my handwriting could make a
pharmacist cry. Then I start typing in from my notes and expanding, and
then revise and edit my way up to the final. My sense is, given some of
the "finished products" I've had to deal with, that most people start AND
finish things all in one "draft". I don't think people understand that
it's OKAY to have several drafts of a thing; I think they view drafts as
failed attempts at the final product.

Okay...time to stop pretending to work...just my .02.

Pax,
Leo Marks

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com