RE: What's the significance of a draft

Subject: RE: What's the significance of a draft
From: "Trish Castin" <pcastin -at- cadence -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 18:01:38 -0400

Anon:
I feel your pain. Many moons ago, I worked with another TW who would go
into my electronic folders every night after I left for home (I worked
"early", she worked "late") and would open them, print them, edit them,
then take them to the boss and point out to him all the things that were
wrong in them. These were Work In Progress (Drafts) and each morning I
would be pulled in to a meeting with the boss to explain to him why
these things were wrong. I'd have to repeat constantly that "I know
this information is wrong, it's being updated tomorrow when I get to
interview my SME" and "they're not finished deciding how this is going
to change, so the information can't be updated yet."

Needless to say, this was a nightmare for me. I'd never been in a
situation like this before, was relatively new to TW, and the other
writer was also from the same consulting firm as me, so I couldn't
figure out why she'd want to "sabotage" me like that.

Unfortunately, I could *not* seem to find a way out of this. I talked
to the boss about it, and he said he understood my concerns, but there
I'd be the next morning having the same conversation. This was a 3
month contract. I gritted my teeth, plowed through the days, got the
job done, and then got out (only to find the product never went to
market - but NOT because of my doc!)

Made subsequent assignments seem like wonderful peaceful dreams.

You are not alone! Who knows... Maybe your boss was my former
co-worker!

Trish

Never insult seven men if all you're packin' is a six shooter.

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com