Importing Word equations to page layout

Subject: Importing Word equations to page layout
From: "W. Ross Stone" <71221 -dot- 621 -at- compuserve -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:37:00 -0400

To:INTERNET:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com

September 10, 2002

I am Editor-in-Chief of one of the IEEE magazines. About 85% of our input comes
in the form of Microsoft Word documents, with a large number of equations in
Equation Editor or MathType. Since we use MathType to set all complex symbols
and even units (for typographic reasons), it is not unusual to have 500 - 1000
equation objects in an issue. We currently print galleys from Word, and use
manual paste-up and photographic plate-making to produce the printing plates. We
want to go to computer-to-plate. Is there any page-layout software available
that will import Word documents while maintaining the equations?

To the best of my knowledge (and this is also based on some experience),
Ventura, Quark, InDesign, PageMaker, and FrameMaker don't do it (and the latter
two really aren't suitable for a magazine, anyway). At best, these require that
you manually insert each equation object, typically as an EPS object. If someone
knows differently on the basis of first-hand experience, please explain! There
are TEX-based solutions, but our input isn't in TEX. Re-keying the equations and
symbols isn't an option. HELP!

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Ross Stone
71221 -dot- 621 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com