Re: Documentation problem

Subject: Re: Documentation problem
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:16:11 -0400

Elizabeth (I hope that's not your real name or that your nemesis doesn't read this list),

It sounds like a classic case of a turf war going on a level up from you.

What I would suggest is that you discreetly inquire about the personalities involved and any history they have of prior clashes. If find out that I'm correct in my assumption about what is going on, about the best you can do is make clear that you are not willing to be used as a pawn in their game, and that you are going to use your own professional judgment about the best way to get the job done.

Send a polite email explaining your plan of action to the change manager, the admin manager, and some key SMEs, with a blind copy to someone in high enough authority to make a sensible plan stick and to protect your butt from retribution. Include someone from HR (or from your agency if you are a contractor) on the BCC list.

Cooperating with tyrants only encourages them. Don't do it.

Dick

smithelizabeth -at- hotmail -dot- com wrote:

>I have an ethical dilemma.

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com