RE: RoboDemo

Subject: RE: RoboDemo
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 10:30:49 +0100

Hi,
I've recently done an evaluation of both RoboDemo and its upstart
start-up competitor ViewletBuilder. In fact, last week I sent an enquiry
to the list on the subject of tutorial authoring tools
(http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives/0209/techwhirl-0209-00319.htm
l). Having tried both tools, I actually like the look and feel of
ViewletBuilder slightly better. They both do the job well enough, but
ViewletBuilder just seemed easier to use.

I've put quick-and-dirty test versions of my tutorials up at
http://www.capescience.com/test/RoboDemo/RoboDemoTest.htm and
http://www.capescience.com/test/ViewletBuilder/TestDemo_viewlet_swf.html
(this link is not working for me at the moment...I'm investigating).
IMPORTANT: These are dodgy demos hacked together on the evaluation
versions of the software (hence the watermarks) and are not for
commercial use!

Lastly, I emailed both eHelp and Qarbon to ask for a comparison of their
products. Only Qarbon replied, and their reply is below. Note, I have no
association with either of these companies, and cannot comment on the
validity of their statements (my, isn't this an email full of
disclaimers):

<FromQarbon>

We were doing what we do years before RoboDemo came along, and we've
even been awarded some pretty profound patents in this area that
substantiate this position.
http://www.qarbon.com/news/press_room/2002.08.06.html

You should also know the genesis of RoboDemo: eHelp bought a shareware
program from an Australian developer, changed the name and tacked an
expensive price on (10 times the original price) without improving the
product in any substantial way.

What we see in RoboDemo: the user interface is crude, screenshots
themselves are not as clean as ours, cursor movement looks ragged, there
are obvious artifacts in balloon drawing, entering text in balloons is
clumsy and unintuitive, you have to compile every time you want to see
what their demos look like. There are a lot of differences, needless to
say ;-)

Regarding ViewletBuidler:

We have a stable mature program that is used by many many companies.
We've been selected for use by hundreds of Fortune 1000 companies, for
instance. I've listed some below. Approximately 10 million Viewlets are
watched every month. Enterprise wide licenses have been purchased by
companies like IBM, Oracle, Sprint, Procter & Gamble, the Home Depot,
and others.

We are serious about support- our tech support folks are unparalleled in
their dedication to solving issues.

Please note that all tech support as well as all upgrades and updates
automatically come with your license for free during the first full year
of usage.

</FromQarbon>

Thanks. DB.

Darren Barefoot
Technology Evangelist
CapeScience - Cape Clear's Developer Support Network
http://www.capescience.com

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com