RE: University degree

Subject: RE: University degree
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:56:49 -0400

If you have the time, resources, and energy to commit to a degree, and if
the field interests you, I'd say go for it. You never know when that degree
may come in handy! A good degree program should help you build skills, such
as writing, editing, problem-solving, and a skills in your technical
specialty, that will help you in building your career. Many also offer
internships, which will give you some practical experience.

On other thing a good tech writing program should give you is a decent start
on a portfolio, especially if you're new to the field. It should also let
you try out new approaches, new ideas, and new media, not just teach you one
way to do things.

Degrees, like any other credentials, are things that tell you *something*
about the person who holds them, but they aren't the whole picture, and they
don't come with any guarantees. If I were a hiring manager, I'd look at the
degree, but I'd also look at the whole package that you bring to the party.
And as Tom Murrell points out, it does help if companies are hiring! But if
you can afford it, learning new things, especially when that learning leads
to a degree, can certainly help.

My $0.02.
Marguerite

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com