Re: Begging for help in West Virginia

Subject: Re: Begging for help in West Virginia
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:48:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Daniel,

I graduated in 1993 just as the economy was coming out
of a recession, so I know what it's like. And I was in
Dayton, Ohio, which my wife would argue isn't far
removed from the third world of West Virginia! I offer
two suggestions:

- I've heard that the economy for IT types in the
Washington DC area is better than average (not that
that means vibrant). Given your proximity to DC and
your willingness to relocate, I'd spend some time
networking out there.

- Do what I did almost ten years ago. Pursue other job
opportunities and network within the company. I'd
suggest customer service, which is often supported by
some kind of documentation. You can network your way
into the doc group (by writing ad hoc job aids at
every opportunity) or eventually create one yourself
(if the company is smaller in size).

Best of luck,
Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer
Former Customer Service Geek

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com