Re: A Long, Long Time Ago...Linking Objects In Word

Subject: Re: A Long, Long Time Ago...Linking Objects In Word
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:37:38 -0700

Justin Ressler wrote:

> Insert>Object>Create From File(link to file = yes)> Filename.gif
>
> ...doesn't seem to keep my file size down.

As it says on the Create From File tab when you check the Link To File option:

"Inserts the contents of the file into your document
and creates a shortcut to the source file..."

That seems pretty unambiguous. :)

I use this method:

1. From the Insert menu, choose Picture, From File.

2. Select the image you want to insert.

3. Click on the Insert button.

4. Select Link To File.

(Using the method you described is like choosing
the Insert And Link option from this menu.)

That should do what you want:

* Your file size is minimally affected.

* Changes to the image source file are reflected in
your document every time you open the .doc file.

--David

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com