Quick Reference Material in User Guide?

Subject: Quick Reference Material in User Guide?
From: Jim Hager <jhager -at- techrx -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:18:21 -0400

Hi,

I'm working on a user guide for a complex application for the medical
industry. It involves lots of screens with lots of fields and some complex
tasks for the user.

I'm contemplating adding some quick reference material inside the user
guide. These blocks of material would be like a quick summary of the tasks
that are rather compex. These would interspersed throughout a chapter as
need and would be in adition to the chapter summaries.

Naturally, these would also be in the online help for the application.

Has anybody here used this technique?

If so, can you provide any guidance?

If you have not used this technique, what do you think of this? (Note. I'm
not asking about separate quick reference guides, I'm asking about imbedding
some quick reference material inside the user guide.)

Thanks for your input.

Jim Hager
Lead Technical Writer
jhager -at- techrx -dot- com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com