Re: Funny Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Funny Tech Writing
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:45:07 -0600

Dick M. wrote, regarding the Timex manual:

> So while it is fun to critique the piece from a tech writing perspective,
we should realize it was not written from that perspective.

The problem is that instruction manuals are technical documents. Even if
the background of the writers is copyrighting, they're still writing a
technical manual. Sure, you can write instructions in iambic pentameter or
patter song (if you're a poet or aficianado of Gilbert and Sullivan,
respectively), and they might be admired for their cleverness ("I am the
very model of a timex-model chronograph") but they nevertheless are
instruction manuals. Do they instruct?

In this case it did. But it can be taken too far - I'd like to see the
humor these guys would put into an instruction manual for decontaminating a
nuclear waste dump. Big laughs there.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com