Re: References a later chapter

Subject: Re: References a later chapter
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 12:50:00 -0700

Y'know, Evan, I'm old enough to remember being taught
that too many forward references are a baaaaaaaaad
thing. But the word was "too many" not "any". So,
even in the most structured of paper manuals, you'd
get one or two forward ref's as a "gimme".

But this is the new millenium and language and writing
evolves over time. We are creating hypertext links out
of those forward references and are finally becoming
more concerned with the accessibility of the information
than we are with its structure. I for one think it's a
good thing.

My advice? Reference away!
-Sue Gallagher

At 04:41 PM 9/19/02 -0300, Evan Martin wrote:

Here's a question that I think I know the answer to. But because I'm new,
I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Is it proper to refer a reader to a chapter that is later in the manual? I
want to avoid duplicating a section that is later in the manual (and has to
stay there).

Thanks

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com