Distilling complex Office documents (was: the timex thing...)

Subject: Distilling complex Office documents (was: the timex thing...)
From: Greg Holmes <holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 06:41:43 -0400

owenf -at- mighty -dot- co -dot- za wrote:

>i'm having trouble distilling word (xp) docs with embedded visio
>diagrams. any scaling i apply to the diagram in word causes all the
>postscripty diagrams in the pdf to go nuts - scaled way off the page.

Ah yes. I suppose "don't try to Distill complex embedded MS Office
objects" won't satisfy you? ;)

Seriously, in my previous job, I doubled as Acrobat tech support, not
because of any expertise on my part, but because I was in IT and nobody
else wanted to touch it (it was amusing/frustrating having my own Help
Desk calls routed back to myself). It was about 50/50; disappearing
"Create PDF" buttons and macros, and this thing: "I have an Excel with a
Word embedded that has a Visio embedded. It doesn't convert right"!
Actually, I wish they described it that clearly ...

Anyway, my main generic suggestions (in no particular order) are:

* Try printing to file with a PostScript printer driver, then distilling
the .ps file to PDF. Ya never know, sometimes this magically clears
things up.

* Re-embed these diagrams as something else, perhaps EPS or WMF.
Probably not what you want to hear.

* Scale the diagram to the correct size in Visio before you embed it in
Word.

* Get some strong coffee, then search Adobe's site. When that proves
fruitless, go Google. Good luck!

-Greg Holmes

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com