Re: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: "Grammar Stinks."
From: holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 13:14:17 +0000

Keith Cronin wrote:

>>To me the biggest grammatical road hazard kids face is
>>AOL Instant Messenger. Like most teens, my daughter and
>>her friends adopt the universal shorthand of the net,
>>where capitalization, punctuation, and spelling all go
>>by the wayside.
>>
>>its enuf 2 drive u 2 drink

and Karen Otto replied

>We only have to wait a couple of years before we see the
>influence that this shorthand will
>have on the English language. I believe it will
>dramatically alter the grammar. It will be
>the greatest grammatical road hazard WE face, not the
>kids.

Maybe. I see this bandied about as inevitable, but I
dunno.

I mean, drastically abbreviating words would have had the
same supposed benefits in the past, whether using
typewriters, pen/paper, or papyrus. It would have been
faster and cheaper, for those used to it. Yet it didn't
happen, not in the wholesale way ircspeak is supposed to
r001 us all soon. So my crystal ball is still cloudy on
this point ... ;)

Greg Holmes

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com