RE: "Grammar Stinks." -- Thanks

Subject: RE: "Grammar Stinks." -- Thanks
From: "Gwen Fremonti" <gwen -dot- fremonti -at- primefactors -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:01:05 -0700

Thanks to all for the interesting responses. I decided to get the two Karen
Gordon books to keep on hand in case the spirit move him to look something
up. I doubt 12-year olds were the target audience, but what I want is
something that is not so mind-numbingly boring that he'll never want to open
it, but not written at so young a level that it will insult his
intelligence. These seem like they'll fit the bill. I truly don't expect
that he'll read them as though they were interesting in their own right. But
I probably will. :-)

(Note to Keith: I did look all over the place for "Tony Hawk's Kick-Flipping
Guide to Truly Awesome Grammar, Dude" but alas, no such luck.)

I did sound like the meanest mom in the world with that remark about him
being my captive audience on the train, but I didn't mean it that way. The
question was prompted by his own complaints: he's a bad writer, everyone
else can write better than he can. My notions that he won't get better if he
doesn't practice and that learning some basic rules of grammar certainly
couldn't hurt are just plain dumb. (Translation: He's afraid to look bad but
won't admit it.) A little frustrating for me.

The truth is, he may be my captive audience but I'll be his too. I know
we'll spend *some* time trying to improve his homework, and I do plan to
bring the books along just in case, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to
restrain myself from lecturing.

Mostly, I'm just hoping to beat him at Scrabble. :-)

Thanks again
Gwen

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com