Re: Grammar: appear or appears?

Subject: Re: Grammar: appear or appears?
From: Rick Kirkham <rkirkham -at- seagullscientific -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:06:05 -0700

"Ruby Isaacs" <ruby -at- quendi -dot- ca> wrote:

> It seems as though the original software designer tried to embed help =
> into the interface. Given a deadline of September 30, the current =
> software designer does not have time to change the interface.

> Does that help?

Now I'm confused. If the interface cannot be changed, why did you ask in the
first place whether the sentence is correct? Right-or-wrong, you are stuck
with it. Right?

If you *can* change it in the future, everything I said before is still
true. It is ungrammatical, and there is no reason for the quotation marks,
and the word "Step" should not be capitalized unless it is the first word of
a rewritten version.

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com