RE: Translations - who checks them?

Subject: RE: Translations - who checks them?
From: "Jennifer O'Neill" <jennifer -dot- oneill -at- village -dot- uunet -dot- be>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:12:10 +0200

David,

We get our sales and tech support people across Europe to do the reviews. We
don't release translations until they've been reviewed by our colleagues (so
we may need to remind them a few times as they have a heavy work load). Even
with a multilingual glossary, we find that translations need to be checked:
as our translation work load varies, the translation agency can't promise
that the same translator is always available to translate our docs into a
language, and there may be differences in content between countries which
the local tech suport people add in when reviewing the translation. We send
the contact details of the in-country reviewers to the translations agency
for them to contact the reviewers directly but we are copied in email
communications and often need to step in when there are queries.

When we get the reviewed translated docs back from the agency, myself and
the other tech writers check that the layout is OK, there's no missing info,
links still work, everything has been translated, page breaks OK, and text
expansion hasn't caused problems, etc.. Usually the translation agency does
the layout as part of the translation package but we double check. Sometimes
we just send the text for translation and do the DTP ourselves and organise
the in-country reviews ourselves. Saves money but takes time. When updating
translated manuals, we increasingly skip the translation agency and deal
directly with the sales and tech support people. Cheaper. For large updates,
we would use the translation agency.

Cheers,

jennifer

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com