Re: More on drafts --

Subject: Re: More on drafts --
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:47:24 -0400

From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>

> ::: It is unethical to examine a document as if it were the
> ::: work product without
> ::: notifying the employee that drafts are going to be so viewed.
> :::
> ::: It really *is* a question of ethics, to me.
>
> Not in my opinion. I think it's more a question of tact and reason.

I agree.

> Let's face it, it's not "the writer's" desk, and it's not "the writer's"
> document. It is up for analysis at ANY point in time by ANY person
> employed by the company, period. And, just as a manager can order a
> cube/office packed and cleared at any point in time, that same manager
> has the right to enter that cube/office and inspect company property.

Theoretically, you're right, but common decency requires that a manager
inform a writer that his draft will be reviewed. That should be a condition
of the job and the writer should know about it before it happens. Sure, a
manager can be a jerk, but again, common decency calls for communicating
what the environment is like long before that first draft gets written.

> Personally, I think the manager could have used more tack in his/her
> approach to the draft, and really should have asked for it. Then again,
> we only know the writer's side of the story, so who knows what really
> happened (not that I'm calling the writer a liar or a fraud, but let's
> face it, we really don't know either way).

That's true. There could well be other issues we don't know about.

> So, was it in the manager's right to do what he/she did? Yes. Was it
> done with proper tact and in sound reasoning? Probably not.

Right. But I'll tell you, I would not stay long at a place that surprised me
like that and gave me no opportunity to make sure my draft would meet the
manager's requirements.

Of course, at the rate I'm going, I won't have to ever worry about that sort
of thing again.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com