RE: Funny technical writing--risky?

Subject: RE: Funny technical writing--risky?
From: Kevin Montgomery <robertm -at- qualcomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:47:41 -0700

I can't imagine using humor in a technical document. In fact, I'm dead set against anything that distracts from the facts. Let me tell you what happened the last time somebody tried to muck with perfection.

Sing along, everybody!

Doc Like a Man
(to the tune of Walk Like a Man by The Four Seasons)
===============

Oh, how you tried,
To feminize my guide,
By striking passive voice and tortured tense.
Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah
But our managers all expect,
Our docs in good old milspec.
They like all our books boring and dense.

I'm going to...
Doc like a man
Pompous and bland
Doc like a man
My deaarr!
I'm going to stash,
Your redlines in the trash,
And I'll doc like a man,
My dear.

Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!
Doc, doc, doc!
Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!

You say our customers are feeling,
Our books should be more appealing,
With snazzy graphics and lots of white space.
Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah
But users should be educated,
To appreciate the complicated.
We've got to keep the customer in his place.

We're going to...
Doc like a man
Stick to the plan
Doc like a man
My cutey!
We don't need more pearls,
From educated girls.
We'll still doc like a man
My dear.

Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!
Doc, doc, doc!
Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!

You say it would be so fine,
To put the doc set online,
And cut the paper at the user's site
Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah, Ooo-waah
But you'll soon see the futility,
Of your strive for usability,
We're insensitive to the user's plight.

That's why we...
Doc like a man
As much paper as we can
Doc like a man
My baby!
You've no respect from me,
For your techwriting degree.
We'll still doc like a man
My honey.

Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!
Doc, doc, doc!
Oooo-weee-dooo-oooo-oooo-oooo!!

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com