Re: xml/docbbok editors (was: Simplified DocBook)

Subject: Re: xml/docbbok editors (was: Simplified DocBook)
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 24 Sep 2002 10:57:47 -0400

On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 10:32, Chris Gooch wrote:
[snip story about developers submitting information]
> A couple of these guys (one in particular) is particularly
> pathologically set against LaTeX. He says he'd be happy
> if there was a good GUI, but really there isn't.
>
> I have a long term plan to move to xml/simplified Docbook.
> It seems to me the tools for xml/docbook are becoming pretty
> usable. However finding an editor that this guy will be
> comfortable using will be an issue. I had hoped that
> a suitable IDE type almost WYSIWYG (WYSIWYM perhaps)
> editor, which presents _a reasonably small number of
> possible tags_ at any given point, would be ideal
> (it would need wysiwyg editing of tables also as
> that seems to be an issue in this person's head).
>
> Any suggestions?

Chris,

I'm all about helping people help me while staying in an environment
they're comfortable with. One suggestion: look for tools to convert from
one type of document (say, Word) to another (say, DocBook).

When I searched previously, I found Majix, an RTF to XML (for which
DocBook has DTD). Looks like they're working on the site, but Majix is
still available at http://tetrasys.dhs.org/majix.html.

In my basic playing around with Majix, I was pretty happy with the tool.
This way, you can 'programmatically' convert docs this guy submits into
DocBook. With a little tidying by you (sometimes the markup isn't
exactly what you wanted), the doc should be pretty decent.

If Majix doesn't do it for you, search for 'html to docbook' for options
to translate (some would consider it a backwards conversion) into
DocBook.

Meg

--
Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com