The saga continues...Word File Size causes Printing Problems?

Subject: The saga continues...Word File Size causes Printing Problems?
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:36:06 -0600

Here's the skinny...

I had a large Word Doc (159 Mb) that I stripped all the images out of and
linked them to the document, reducing the file size to about 6Mb. That
leaves about 153 Mb worth of graphics/digital images.

When Word tries to print the document (350 pages) it will (at about 200
pages) post the error message "Word has insufficient memory and cannot
display the requested font." I have implemented the suggestions as stated
by the Microsoft Support Center, which are as follows:

1. Update Printer Driver (Done and Done)
2. Link to File (Done and Done)
3. Paste as Picture (Not applicable if Linking to file)
4. Re-Scan the image (Not using any Scanned images)

I have converted the document to RTF and back to hopefully de-bug it. I
have also copied the whole document except the last paragraph mark to help
rid my blessed document of any nasties.

The old fix was to PDF the document and then print it. That doesn't work
anymore do to "A Drawing Error has Occurred" but I won't go into
that...different pot of troubles. I should not have to PDF a document to be
able to print it. (yeah, I know...shouldn't have to, but...)

My hardware certainly supports the document. Only half of my computers RAM
is accounted for when the error message appears (including all other tasks).
I am using a HP LaserJet 8000 printer, with an unknown amount of RAM.

I have disabled background printing and all that jazz as suggested by many
a'listmember long ago when this saga started.

So folks...what'cha think? Is it a printer problem? If so, that's a bummer
cause what do you tell the customer..."Well here is your document, but
unless you have an exorbitant amount of RAM you won't be able to print it."

I know I am not the first person to try and print a document that has a
large number of graphics attached to it. If I am, well...cool.

Is it a corrupt image? Is it the whole darn document? Have you experienced
this before?

So yep...that's my story...if you have made it this far, I am ready for you
advice.

With a tip of my hat,
Justin

BTW, my ? key mysteriously started working again so I am going to end this
declarative sentence with a?

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com