Re: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

Subject: Re: Getting a job as beginning tech writer
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:26:43 -0700

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

> Don't let anyone tell you otherwise: if you don't know RoboHelp,
> for instance, you just won't land a job writing help files.

I've never gotten a job because I knew how to use RoboHelp or any other help authoring tool.

I've gotten jobs because I knew how help worked[1]--what files were needed, which ones could be adjusted by hand, how they fit together, how to connect them to the application, how to fix them when the authoring tool screwed them up, and so on.

Once you understand the delivery format, learning *any* decent tool to create it should be a triviality. If it's not, then the tool's too complicated.

If you don't understand the delivery format, though, the client will inevitably end up paying you to sit on hold, waiting for the tool vendor's tech support.

--David

[1] Oh, and I'm not bad at the writing part, either. :)

N O W A V A I L A B L E ! http://www.html-indexer.com/

HTML Indexer 4 is still the easiest way to create and maintain indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

Now with fully integrated cross-references, target frames and windows,
multiple-file output, "one-step accept" of default entries, and more!

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com