Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?

Subject: Re: Job market and potential age discrimination?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:42:22 -0600

Rose wrote:

>One of the most common fallacies about resumes is that they
>should be a complete job history.

Hear, hear! Judging from the resumes I've reviewed, this point is lost on
many tech writers. Maybe it's because they're so accustomed to providing
ALL the information they think the user might find pertinent.

A resume is a SALES document. Many tech writers suffer from either an
antipathy towards sales writing, or in some cases, a flat-out inability to
add a marketing spin to factual information. That can really bite you on
the ascii if you're not careful.

When you write a resume, you take on the responsibility of PACKAGING
yourself, your skills, and your experience. Spend some time thinking about
what to include, AND what to leave out. If you think a piece of
information could hurt your chances at getting called for an interview,
omit it.

You're just trying to get in the door - resumes get you interviews, not
jobs. Once you're in the door, rely on your wit, your charm, your tattoo,
your double-jointed pinkie, or anything else in your bag of tricks to win
them over. Good luck!

Keith Cronin

wondering if I should include that stint as a Chippendales dancer on my
resume...

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com